Reto Battaglia, 23. 9. 1943, Swiss Citizen
Full academic title:
Dr. sc. techn. ETH, dipl. chem. ETH, Eidg. dipl. Lebensmittelchemiker (Swiss Federal Diploma as Food Chemist), CChem FRSC
- EuCheMS medal of merit 2005: "... for outstanding services to the Federation and for the furthering of international cooperation in the field of chemistry"
- Medal and Award of the Prof. J. Werder Foundation 2014: "... in recognition of outstanding and long-standing merits in the establishment of quality assurance and control in the food chain nationally and internationally, and longstanding active engagements in learned societies."
After receiving the PhD degree in organic chemistry at ETH Zurich with Prof. Dr. D. Arigoni I spent two years at the University of Manchester UK, working with Prof. J. K. Sutherland in organic synthesis. In 1973 I joined the official food control laboratory in Zurich, Switzerland, where I was leading the analytical departments and obtained my National Diploma as Swiss Food Chemist. In 1988 I started working with Migros, the largest supermarket and food manufacturing company in Switzerland, where I took responsibility for their quality assurance and laboratory activities.
After 1999 these laboratories were transformed into a commercial activity, which after a period of five years produced positive results with over 80 staff.
Since my retirement in 2006 I run my own consultancy, helping trade and industrial customers with quality issues generally.
From 2006 to 2016 I was Scientific Director of Sino-Swiss ADC, Beijing, a certification company offering IFS, BRC and GAP audits.
From 2007 to 2011 I acted also as Scientific Director of Nehring & Battaglia GmbH, In Xiamen, China; a laboratory and daughter company of the Nehring laboratory in Braunschweig, Germany.
- Regular mandatory course on quality assurance in food trade for final year food science students, ETHZ (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich) from 2000 until 2010.
- Contracted Professor at the University of Parma for the course on quality assurance in food trade and industry (last year of MSc course for food science), 2006 – 2010
- Voluntary teacher on behalf of "b360 education partnerships" (a not-for-profit organisation) in Food Safety Management at the Polytechnic of Namibia (now NUST Namibian University of Science and Technology), Windhoek, 2011 - 2015.
- Board member of the AOAC-Research Institute September 1999 - 2004
- Associate and Titular member of the IUPAC Commission on Food Chemistry, 1983 – 1989; again from 2005 – 2008 (food chemistry subcommittee)
- Board member since 1983, president from 1989 - 1995 and again board member until 2006 of the Swiss Society of Food Chemistry.
- Member since 1981 and Chairman (1995 - 1999) of the Division of Food Chemistry of the Federation of European Chemical Societies (FECS; 2004 being renamed to EuCheMS).
- Ex officio member of the Executive Committee of FECS (1995 - 1999)
- President of FECS (Federation of European Chemical Societies. In my capacity as president I have transformed FECS into the professionally run, legally registered new European Association for Chemical and Molecular Sciences EuCheMS.
- 2003 – 2011 - Member of the Executive Committee of EuCheMS.
- September 2001 – spring 2010 member of the Board of the Swiss Chemical Society